2021, issue 1, p. 61-66
Received 09.02.2021; Revised 09.03.2021; Accepted 25.03.2021
Published 30.03.2021; First Online 03.04.2021
About the Development of a High-Speed Simplified Image Codec
Yа.V. Luts 1, V.K. Luts 2 *
1 National Technical University of Ukraine "Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute"
2 V.M. Glushkov Institute of Cybernetics of the NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv
In order to develop a high-speed simplified image codec, an analysis of the influence of known image compression algorithms and other parameters on performance was done. The relevance and expediency of developing a high-speed simplified image codec for the Internet of Things in order to increase the level of autonomy of IoT devices, reduce the cost of construction and dissemination of IoT infrastructure were substantiated. The efficiency coefficient of image compression algorithms was introduced, which is determined by the ratio between the computational complexity of the algorithms and their contribution to the final result. Simplification and reduction of the number of algorithms for predicting pixel values were proposed and substantiated, because at this stage a significant number of computational operations is added by the procedure of comparing different prediction algorithms with each other. It is proposed to use only one block integer transformation with fast low complexity algorithms of calculating, which will significantly reduce the complexity of the block transformation stage, including due to the lack of high computational complexity of the algorithm for comparing the quality of block transformations. At the stage of entropy coding, it is also proposed to use simplified algorithms, because the contribution of this stage to the overall result in the general background is quite small, and the computational complexity is high (50 – 70 % of all calculations). A new algorithm for progressive image transfer was proposed - the transfer of a reduced image followed by the transfer of the original image on demand. The considered approaches and algorithms for the development of high-speed simplified image codec can be applied to further development of high-speed simplified video codec.
Keywords: computational complexity, fast transforms, computational efficiency, progressive data transfer, intra-prediction algorithms, simplified image codec, IoT.
Cite as: Luts Yа.V., Luts V.K. About the Development of a High-Speed Simplified Image Codec. Cybernetics and Computer Technologies. 2021. 1. P. 61–66. (in Ukrainian) https://doi.org/10.34229/2707-451X.21.1.6
1. Salomon D. Data Compression: The Complete Reference. Springer-Verlag, London, 2007. 1092 p. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-84628-603-2
2. Gonzalez R., Woods R., Digital Image Processing. M.: Tehnosfera, 2012. 1104 p. (in Russian) https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=21558366
3. A new image format for the Web | WebP | Google Developers. https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/ (accessed: 09.02.2021)
4. ITU-T Rec. H.265/ISO/IEC 23008-2: 2013. Information technology – High efficiency coding and media delivery in heterogeneous environments. – Part 2: High efficiency Video Coding, 2013. https://www.iso.org/standard/35424.html
5. AV1 Image Format (AVIF). https://aomediacodec.github.io/av1-avif/ (accessed: 09.02.2021)
6. Hnativ L.O. Integer Cosine Transforms for High-Efficiency Image and Video Coding. Cybernetics and Systems Analysis. 2016. 52 (5). P. 802–816. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10559-016-9881-7
7. Hnativ L.O. Integer Cosine Transforms: Methods to Construct new Order 8, 16 Fast Transforms and Their Application. Cybernetics and Systems Analysis. 2014. 50 (6). P. 913–929. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10559-014-9682-9
8. Kozhemiakina N., Lukin V.V., Ponomarenko N.N., Astola J., Egiazarian K.O. JPEG compression with recursive group coding. Electronic Imaging. 2016, 15. P. 1–6. https://doi.org/10.2352/ISSN.2470-1173.2016.15.IPAS-196
ISSN 2707-451X (Online)
ISSN 2707-4501 (Print)