2021, issue 2, p. 90-98
Received 21.04.2021; Revised 08.05.2021; Accepted 24.06.2021
Published 30.06.2021; First Online 01.07.2021
Development of the Remote Heart Health Monitoring System
Maksym Boreiko *, Mykola Budnyk
V.M. Glushkov Institute of Cybernetics of the NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv
Introduction. Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the most common cause of death worldwide. This problem is especially relevant for Ukraine, where CVD accounts for more than 68% of all deaths. At the same time, in terms of population mortality rate (15.3 ‰), Ukraine is ahead of all European countries.
Electrocardiography is the most useful diagnostic tools. Nowadays a lot of portable ECG devices are available on the market, which makes ECG accessible for each patient directly from home.
Remote monitoring of patients with CVD is a very necessary solution, which can save patient’s lives, doctor’s time and hospital’s money.
Existing remote monitoring solution doesn’t provide enough cyber security and scalability, especially in the context of tight regulation of medical software in the European Union.
The purpose of the article is to develop a cloud-based software solution for remote monitoring of patients with CVD using a portable ECG device.
We propose the full architecture, which include server-side components (databases, computational resources, gateways, queus, load balancers and others) and client-side components (mobile app for the Android and iOS and web browser app).
Results. We proposed, designed, implemented and tested the full end-to-end Cloud-based solution for remote monitoring of patients with CVD. Security of the system is ensured by dividing the single database to three separate databases (database with patient’s data, database with ECG data and mapping database), hiding all server components under the virtual private network, and transferring data via secure HTTPS connection.
Conclusions. Developed system successfully solve their goals. It is being used now in the Finnish company Cardiolyse.
Keywords: telemedicine, client-server, medical devices, electrocardiography, cybersecurity, heart rate variability
Cite as: Boreiko M., Budnyk M. Development of the Remote Heart Health Monitoring System. Cybernetics and Computer Technologies. 2021. 2. P. 90–98. https://doi.org/10.34229/2707-451X.21.2.10
1. Terenda N.O. Mortality from cardiovascular diseases as a state problem. Bulletin of Scientific Research. 2015. 4. P.11–13. (in Ukraine) https://doi.org/10.11603/2415-8798.2015.4.5623
2. Bhargava B. AliveCor. J pract cardiovasc sci. 2018. 4 (2). https://doi.org/10.4103/jpcs.jpcs_17_18
3. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) – official legal text. https://gdpr-info.eu/ (accessed 28.02.2021)
4. EU MDR. https://eumdr.com/ (accessed 28.02.2021)
5. React Native. https://reactnative.dev/ (accessed 28.02.2021)
6. ECG Recorder Telecardian 06000.1 Bluetooth. (in Russian) https://solvaig.com/holter-ecg-registrator-06000.1-black (accessed 10.03.2021)
8. Wikipedia contributors. Representational state transfer. In: Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia [Internet]. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Representational_state_transfer&oldid=1008027664 (accessed 28.02.2021)
9. Spring Framework. https://spring.io/projects/spring-framework (accessed 28.02.2021)
10. Empowering app development for developers. https://www.docker.com/ (accessed 10.03.2021)
11. Cloud Computing Services. https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/ (accessed 10.03.2021)
12. React. https://reactjs.org/ (accessed 28.02.2021)
13. Pandit N. What and why React.Js. https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/what-and-why-reactjs/ (accessed 28.02.2021)
14. Cardiolyse - predictive cardiac analytics platform. https://cardiolyse.com/ (accessed 28.02.2021)
15. Chaykovskyy I., Budnyk M., Starynska G. Method of ECG evaluation based on universal scoring system. Int. Patent Publication WO 2017/010963 A1, A61B 5/0402, G06F 19/00, published 19.01.2017, priority from 13.07.2015.
16. Caykovskyy I., Budnyk M., Starynska G. Method of ECG evaluation based on universal scoring system. US Patent 10,512,412 В2, A61B5/04, A61B5/ 0452, A61B5/024, A61B5/16, A61B5/ 00, published 24.12. 2019.
17. Biletskyi I., Budnyk M. Development of architecture and software realization of electronic cabinets of the doctor-cardiologist and patient. Scientific Notes of the Tavria Natl. Univ. named after V.I. Vernadsky. Series: Technical Sciences. 2018. 29 (5). P. 71–76.
18. Boreiko M., Budnyk M. Development of software and hardware system for monitoring the physiological condition of yachtsmen. Scientific Notes of the Tavria Natl. Univ. named after V.I. Vernadsky. Series: Technical Sciences. 2018. 29 (3). P. 101–104.
19. Boreiko M., Budnyk M. Development of a system for automatic monitoring of human fatigue. In Proc. Intern. Science and Practical Conf. “Information systems and technologies in medicine” (ISM–2018), Kharkiv, Ukraine, Nov 28–30, 2018. P. 40–42.
20. Boreiko M., Budnyk M., Chaikovskyy I. Studying impact of pain to heart rate variability. Information Technology and Computer Engineering. 2020. 48 (2). P. 4–11. https://doi.org/10.31649/1999-9941-2020-48-2-4-11
ISSN 2707-451X (Online)
ISSN 2707-4501 (Print)